Help Haiti

Friday, July 17, 2009

Akwaaba Obama






I don't know what to talk about today... Life is good! I had my last day at Okomfo Anokye (pronounced u-kom-fo- no-ch- eh)Secondary School on Wednesday of this past week- they are now taking their tests and so I can only visit with them in the evenings and weekends. So I have about 20 interviews with students left and a dozen or so with vendors and other people. Life is good. I think I will be able to finish all that I needed to before we leave in 2.5 weeks. So we will be leaving Wiamoase on the 1st of July and leaving Ghana on the 5th.
Some of the observations I have been making are with the ladies who make the food for the primary schools. They have this shack that they prepare the lunch meal, which is paid by foreign aid, and they use these pots the size of a small bathtub. The shack is always filled with smoke, so it burns my eyes. The ladies are very kind and some even speak english, so we talk about what is going on in the country- especially dealing with the economy, since they are being heavily hit by the downturn.
Obama came here this past week. Seriously it was the biggest thing to happen in Ghana since sliced bread... that hasn't actually happened here yet, so never mind... Yeah Obama was in Ghana. he toured the Cape coast castle and was in Accra and spoke to the people. I think there were about five songs that came out within the last month about how awesome obama is. Also they made fabric that said Akwaaba Obama and had his picture and some traditional symbols on it... dang I should bought some and made a dress, missed my chance though since it sold out in a day. He invited all American citizens to come down and meet with him, but its too expensive and time consuming to travel. So we listeneed to him on TV as he spoke to the Ghanaian people about how to solve their problems. Ghanaians like him because he speaks straight to the point. He told them their future was in their hands that they were the only ones who could make sure they succeed. he called for the corruption to be dealt with and then they would be able to become stable.
I have noticed something about the attitudes of Ghanaians... let me preface this- Ghanaians are as a whole very faithful people, but I think they lack a personal will to succeed- everything is if God is willing, not if I do my work then i will succeed. It is definitely a good part of an attitude to have- trust in God, but we can't sit back and pray and then do nothing. Faith is an action and it applies to all aspects of life.
ON the subject of faith.. I attended the church of pentecost this past sunday. hahaha! it was amazing- I loved it. We sang and danced and then they told me I had to introduce myself adn share a song with them- I sang I am a child of God and spoke a little about the meaning of it. That was really great.
I think we as a group of students decided that dancing should become a part of our worship too. J/K its super distracting sometimes. but its good to move around a bit

No comments:

Post a Comment