Help Haiti

Monday, May 18, 2009

I ate a caterpillar


So each time I come to the internet i write this nice long update and then right as I am clicking to post it the computer shuts down. I have learned my lesson and will give a shorter update, but I hope to include pictures.
We have safely arrived in Wiamoase and have settled into freshly painted rooms. They are a nice bright blue. Last week on thursday was market day in town, so i decided to go check it out. I walked to the center of the village and found an old woman sitting on a porch. She didn't speak english and I didn't speak enough Twi, but we got along well. She introduced me to her friends and we all went to the market together. I sat with her as she sold things and met a bunch of other people. one of her friends spoke english very well and she invited me to come to her house to chat more, so I said sure and followed her. She is very kind and she invited me back to teach me how to cook tomorrow.
I ams till waiting to be introduced to the school so I can get a letter of approval to do my research there and start, hopefully some time this week I can start.
We went to church somewhere near agona with this little branch. I think there were thirty of us in a small classroom. We had a lesson on the plan of salvation for sunday school and the spirit was there, because truth was taught. The little branch will have a baptism sometime this week, but it will be here in Kumasi and we cannot come to support it.
Christiana is a neice to our landlord and she comes to coook and do our laundry for us. She is teaching me all the recipes to make Ghanaian foods. We have a good time together. it is unfortunate that everything is fried here, I am sturggling with it. The flavors are strong and the spices are hot. I love it. Christiana showed me how to make garden egg soup last week and then she allowed me to taste it when it was all done. I had a huige bowl full and it looked like in the soup there was a caterpillar, but I knew that we hadn't put any bugs in so i figured it was just one of the spices.... but then i found another one and asked what it was- christiana said oh thats not supposed to be there and removed it. It was too late for the first one though, I ate it and then regretted it. oh well its just a little more protein :D

3 comments:

  1. Bahahaha! So tell me what the caterpillar tasted like? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tasty tasty bugs...oh man! I sure hope you will teach me how to cook some of the things you are learning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon, What a trooper you are...always going for the gusto. Hope you get to begin work soon.

    ReplyDelete